Watercolor Birch Trees

Project #2
Watercolor Birch Trees 
(Took us about 1.5 - 2 hrs)


Supplies:
- Watercolor Paper
- Sharpie Marker
- Watercolor Paints w/Brush
- Painter's Tape or Masking Tape
- Scissors



You can use non-watercolor paper (like mixed media or construction paper).. but the paper will roll up a bit.. I glued ours down to black construction paper because ours did wrinkle up and roll a tiny bit ...

Step 1
Put 3-4 strips of tape on the paper. I ripped the edges of my tape to make the trees look more realistic, but the kids just kept the tape as is (one long strip) and added branches next by cutting out small pieces of tape with scissors.
If you have smaller kids, no need to add branches.

Step 2
Use watercolor paints to do the background. Do whatever design you want! You can't really screw up watercolor painting. Just don't add too much water .... I put a little water on my paper first and than put the paint on my wet paper... I did small areas at at a time.

** I also let mine dry and painted over again not wetting my paper this time to make the paint a little darker.. kids didn't do this step)

** After paint dries, rip off tape pulling upward. The painter's tape came off real nice. It probably depends on what kind of paper you use.. the paint bled through a little, but the marker will cover that up.

Step 3
Outline the trees with Sharpie marker and after outlining add the decorative lines on the tree to make it look like a birch tree.

** You can than glue (we used stick glue) or tape your art to black construction paper if you want!